The mission of Greenville City Schools is to "be the leader in educational offerings, student performance, and community involvement, and maximize the potential of each and every student". The Greenville High School Vocal Music program is working to achieve this mission in the following ways:
1. We are equipping our vocal music students with the skills needed to meet the high musical expectations that have been set for them.
2. We strive to promote continuous, lifelong learning, as the music instructors learn, grow, and develop alongside the music students.
3. We are focused on providing a safe, inclusive learning environment for students. When students feel accepted, respected, and included, they will achieve at a higher academic level (Conklin-Spillane, 2014).
The vision of Greenville City Schools is "empowering students with knowledge, creativity, and skills to enrich their families, communities, and careers". The Greenville High School Vocal Music program has established the following goals and objectives to achieve this vision:
1. Students will receive an understanding of the roles of the arts in people’s lives in which they come to appreciate the artistic achievements of their own and other societies, past and present.
2. Students will gain the ability to communicate by developing competencies in perceiving, creative thinking, problem solving, and teamwork.
3. Students will gain an understanding of why people value the arts in which they formulate their own personal philosophies of the performing arts.
4. Students will have the opportunity to participate in multiple performance settings and venues that will enhance their musical growth.
1. Wavaires: Wavaires is an SATB male and female show choir, selected by audition, for grades 9-12. The students perform at many concerts and special events throughout the year. Extensive choreography is done throughout the year.
2. Concert Choir: Concert Choir is a mixed SATB male and female ensemble, selected by audition, for grades 9-12. The students perform at concerts throughout the year. Some choreography is done later in the school year.
3. Collage: Collage is an SSA all-female show choir, selected by audition, for girls in grades 9-12. The students perform at concerts throughout the year. Extensive choreography is done throughout the year.
4. Girls Glee: Girls Glee is a non-audition female choir for any girl in grades 9-12 who would like to sing. The students perform at four concerts throughout the year. Some choreography is added during the year.
Fall Concert - Thursday, October 14th, 2021 - 7:30pm
Night Out with the Wavaires - Friday, November 19th, 2021 - 7:00pm
Christmas Concert - Tuesday, December 14th, 2021 - 7:00pm
Winter Concert - Monday, March 7th, 2022 - 7:00pm
Choir O Rama - Friday and Saturday, May 20th-21st, 2022 - 7:00pm
Baccalaureate Service - Wednesday, May 25th, 2022 - 8:00pm
*All concerts are held at St. Clair Memorial Hall in Greenville, Ohio.
MEET THE DIRECTORS
Mrs. Chelsea Whirledge is in her ninth year as the GHS Vocal Music Director. She is a 2007 graduate of Greenville High School, and a 2011 graduate of Ball State University, where she majored in PK-12 Vocal/General Music Education. She recently obtained her Master of Education in Teacher Leadership from American College of Education in 2021. While at Ball State, Mrs. Whirledge was a two-year member of Indiana’s Official Goodwill Ambassadors, The Ball State University Singers show choir, as well as a member of the Chamber Choir. In her spare time, Mrs. Whirledge enjoys spending time with family and close friends, playing golf, thrift and bargain shopping, and watching and attending sporting events at The Ohio State University. John and Chelsea perform together for various private and community events in and around Darke County, including guest performances with the Greenville Municipal Band. Mrs. Whirledge looks forward to what’s to come this year at Greenville High School, as she desires to continue the high level of excellence in the vocal music department for many years to come.
Mr. Christopher Andres is the Vocal Music Assistant, Band Assistant, and Accompanist. He is from Greenville, Ohio but was born in the Philippines. This is his fourth year as the GHS Vocal Accompanist. Mr. Andres was a former Wavaire and Vocal Alumni from 2006-2009.? He is a 2009 GHS Graduate. Mr. Andres studied at The Ohio State University and Sinclair Community College in Music and Aviation. A fun fact about Chris is that was is a flight attendant and loves traveling the world in his spare time.
The GHS Vocal Music Department is always looking for ways to partner with businesses and organizations within the community. We realize we can all be stronger and have a larger impact in Greenville, and it's surrounding communities, if we work together! If you are interested in a partnership or scheduling a performance for your business or non-profit organization, please email Mrs. Whirledge at [email protected].
GHS VOCAL MUSIC BOOSTERS
The GHS Vocal Music Boosters is a great of parents and community members who want to go above and beyond to support the performing arts efforts of our vocal music students. If you're interested in a being a part of the Vocal Music Boosters, they meet the first Tuesday of the month from September to May at 7:00pm in the high school choir room. We would love for you to join us for a brief meeting and get to know about additional ways you can help our students.
Follow the Vocal Music Boosters on Facebook for the latest news and updates on the program.
Conklin-Spillane, C. L. (2014). Modeling the mission: The power of a mission statement is only realized when it is made operational and embedded in every aspect of a school's work. Principal Leadership, 14(8), 60-62.