Second Semester Band Events
Dear Students and Parents,
As we plan to begin the second semester I want to update you on a few items regarding Junior High Band. If you have any questions please call or email me at 548-4188 ext. 748 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Calendar Change/Class Project: We will not be attending the OMEA Solo and Ensemble event scheduled for April 16th in Bellefontaine, OH. We will host our own Solo and Ensemble event at Memorial Hall on April 2nd.
a. All students will participate in a small ensemble or perform a solo. Students have organized their ensembles and chosen music for this project and must begin preparing their parts.
b. Students will be assigned a 10 minute performance time in which they will perform their selection for a music educator/band director from outside our school district. This adjudicator will provide written feedback for each performance based upon the Ohio Music Education Association’s standards and will give a brief private lesson to each ensemble or soloist.
c. There will be no charge for participating in this event.
d. Additional details regarding performances will be discussed in class.
2. Calendar Addition: The entire concert band will be traveling to the University of Dayton on Thursday, March 10, 2016. While at U.D. we will participate in a clinic with Dr. Patrick Reynolds and the Symphonic Wind Ensemble. Dr. Reynolds has years of experience working with student musicians as a professor and conductor at U.D. and as the conductor of the Dayton Philharmonic Youth Orchestra and the Dayton Philharmonic Pops Orchestra. He is also an excellent trumpet player. We will be working on our contest music, gaining new perspectives on our music, and sitting side by side with the UD’s top band. We will plan to load up and leave at 1:30pm. From 3:00-6:30pm we will be at UD and I plan to stop at Marion’s Pizza. Students will be ordering their own dinner. A 13 inch peperoni is $14.00 and can be shared. Students will need to bring a snack to bridge the gap between lunch and a late dinner. I hope to be home around 8:30pm that night.
3. Waves of Pride: Waves of Pride will be held at G.H.S. on Thursday, March 31st. The Jazz Band will perform at this event. A specific time will be given to the band as soon as it’s available.
4. O.M.E. A. Large Group Adjudicated Event (a.k.a. band contest). Saturday, May 7th, the entire concert band will travel to Troy High School and participate in O.M.E.A. District 11 Junior High Large Group Adjudicated Event. The specific time of our performance will be made available a few weeks prior to our performance. The concert band will perform three selections for three O.M.E.A. adjudicators. The adjudicators will give the band written and verbal comments and a rating (1-5 with 1 being the highest rating). This is a required performance. I must know of conflicts immediately to ensure all parts are covered sufficiently.
5. Musical Outreach: Once we have our solos and ensembles ready to go we will be in a great position to share our talents with others who may not have the opportunity to get out anymore. I think if would be great for some of our students to make their way into one or some of our local nursing homes and spread some happiness. More information to come.
6. Regularly Scheduled Concerts: March 3rd will feature the concert band and orchestra at 7:00pm at Memorial Hall. The Instrumental Music Festival will be Thursday, April 21st. BBQ dinners will be sold once again at this festival.
7. High School Band Registration: It is our goal that our 8th grade students continue to play in High School Band. This is critical for our high school program’s success. I always encourage 8th graders to try high school band for a least one year to really see what it’s all about. Mr. Von Sas will be visiting students during class in February to explain options and send home information about scheduling.
a. Students have two band tracks:
i. Symphonic Band: All 4 Quarters. Students should sign up for Symphonic Band. At the end of the 1st nine weeks, students in this band will have the opportunity to audition for the upper level wind ensemble which meets during the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th nine weeks.
ii. Marching Band: This is a volunteer band and students are encouraged to participate. Band member in the Marching Band meet during the summer and 1st nine weeks. At the end of the 1st nine weeks, members of the marching band will be placed in the Symphonic Band or Wind Ensemble based upon a playing test.
iii. Jazz Scene: The Jazz Scene membership is by audition only and open to students who are in Marching, Symphonic Band, or Wind Ensemble. Students who are interested in auditioning should inform Mr. McKibben. There may not be openings in each of the sections.
Posted: Monday, February 1, 2016