Graduation exercises will be held at Harmon Field on Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 7:00 p.m. We hope and trust that the weather will be favorable. In case of inclement weather, the graduation exercises will be held in the gymnasium. Any changes which may be made in graduation exercises will be broadcast over radio station, WTGR on 97.5 FM, and via the one-call system before 5:00 p.m.
Graduation from high school is a ceremony that comes only once in a person’s lifetime. We attempt to make it an experience whose traditions have had meaning for all the graduates of Greenville High School. We would wish that you as parents who have awaited this day will help us in impressing upon your senior the dignity and honor of this occasion so that his/her behavior will be in accord with the very highest that you expect, that we expect, and that the graduate expects himself.
Seniors will be taking their exams on Tuesday, May 30, (regular classes periods 1-4 and then exams periods 5-8) and Wednesday, May 31 (exams periods 1-4 then dismissed). The regular bell schedule will be in effect. All students are expected to be in attendance both days.
The last day for all graduating seniors will be Friday, June 2, 2017.
SENIOR SEND-OFF ASSEMBLY
Seniors are required to be in attendance at school on Thursday, June 1. Seniors will report to their homerooms and then be dismissed to the back (small) gym. The assembly will begin at approximately 8:20 a.m. For this special recognition assembly on the morning of June 1, seniors are required to wear the attire that will be worn under their graduation gowns.
Baccalaureate services are on Wednesday, May 24, at 8:00 p.m. in the St. Clair Memorial Hall auditorium. Baccalaureate is a celebration for the graduates but attendance is not mandatory. This is a short celebration that many people have devoted their time to honor the graduates. The graduates are asked to wear their cap and gown for Baccalaureate. Graduates will organize prior to the services in the Anna Bier Room in Memorial Hall at 7:30 p.m.
SENIOR AWARDS PROGRAM
The Senior Awards Program will be held in the High School gymnasium on Thursday, May 25, at 6:30 p.m. This program is open to the public to recognize and honor seniors for their accomplishments prior to their graduation. Academic, vocational, extra-curricular and scholarship honors will be announced. In addition, this year’s class valedictorian and salutatorian will be recognized.
Seniors not meeting all requirements for a high school diploma will be notified by phone prior to June 2. The principal will contact the student or parent only if all requirements have not been completed.
For the graduates planning to participate in commencement exercises on June 3, attendance at the practice is required! Commencement practice begins at 8:00 a.m. in the high school gymnasium on Friday, June 2. In the past the practice has required three hours; therefore, students need to plan to be at the high school until 11:00 a.m. Graduates who do not attend commencement practice on Friday, June 2, will not participate in commencement exercises on Saturday, June 3, 2017.
If graduation is held at Harmon Field, tickets are not required for admittance. In case of inclement weather and graduation is held in the gymnasium then commencement tickets are required. Each senior will receive six (6) graduation tickets at commencement practice on June 2. These tickets are not for any special seats, but will admit the bearers to the gymnasium. Additional tickets will not be available. There will be additional seating in the cafeteria with the ceremony being heard and viewed on the monitors and the big screen.
GRACE BURDGE EDUCATIONAL FUND
The Greenville BOE is the acting trustee for the Grace Burdge Educational Fund. This fund is available to provide school loans to any Greenville High School graduate having completed their sophomore year in college. Applications for such loans are available at the treasurer’s office located at Memorial Hall. (See back for additional information)
2017 SENIOR EXPECTATIONS
· Send your announcements to people (with personal card enclosed) whom you wish to inform of your graduation. This is not an invitation to commencement exercises. You will be given six (6) graduation tickets on June 2, during commencement practice. If you need special arrangements for disabled parents, or deaf, etc., you will have a chance to make this request.
· Return all books! All debts must be paid before commencement practice. Graduates will not participate in commencement if they have outstanding debts. If you want to check on your student’s account, you can contact Mrs. Boyer at 548-4188 ext. 1003.
· Press the gown with a cold iron. Girls plan to wear a dress. Boys wear dress slacks and dress shoes. Students who don’t dress appropriately will NOT walk.
· Put your cap on well forward with the short point almost between your eyebrows. Wear your tassel over your left eye. The tassel will be moved to the right side after receiving the diploma. The boys should remove their caps simultaneously when a prayer is offered, replacing them at the close of the prayer, and with the playing of the Star-Spangled Banner. Girls should not remove their caps at any time during the exercise.
· Be in the high school gymnasium in your assigned seat by 5:45 p.m. on June 3, 2017.
· Lifetouch Photography will be on hand to take graduation photos. Lifetouch will be contacting the families of the graduates through mail and email regarding the purchase of photographs.